Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Childhood Story #1 Jaguar Sunny D

I was looking for a binder the other day, and happened upon a bunch of papers and miscellaneous assignments from my Freshmen English class, and found a Paper entitled "The Hedge Hideout" Finding this, made me realize i should share more stories from my childhood on here so those that never knew me as a youngin will know....can experience who I was when I was in my youth. For those of you that are included in the stories, I'm sure you will appreciate the Nostalgia (I find that's one of my favorite words. It's quite amazing).

I had a best friend growing up, Jake, well technically only from 3rd grade until now. He is married now, but we still talk and remember everything we went through. Sappy I know. During those Elementary School years, he basically lived at my house. He probably ate dinner more at my house during those years, than he did at his own. Because of how often he was at my house, he pretty much knew everything that was going on, even down to people that called our house regularly.

All growing up, I can only remember my Dad having a Sports car of SOME kind. First it was Jaguars, then a Mercedes, then Porsche's, then Mercedes again. Of course he didn't have them all the time, or all at the same time, but usually he had a car of his own. (He owned a business and the business paid for the car) I remember more than anything listening to Garth Brooks and Tina Turner in the Convertible Jag, cruising to get a slurpee at the Sev on 7th East. Wow never realized the connection there. Anyway, along with Sports cars, along with any car for that matter, comes maintenance and we discovered Jaguars didn't have the best reputation for not having Problems....That was crappy Grammar, but i don't care.

During one particular Jaguar time period, the car was in the shop for a ridiculous amount of time (Hmmm...sounds familiar with me and my car...) All we knew was that about 4-5 times a day, we could expect a call from the people at Jaguar either updating us on the "Status" of the car, Telling us it wasn't done yet, or when it would be done. The main problem with this was in that Jaguar only had our home phone #, and in a day when Cell Phones really didn't exist, so we were stuck taking their calls. We got so incredibly sick of answering the phone and hearing it was the same people from Jaguar, and telling them that "No, my Dad hasn't gotten home in the last half hour, and i will tell him you called 19,000 times today, Thanks" We started making up what we could say to them when they called us back to annoy them as much as they were annoying us.

You know those Sunny D commercials where the guy comes in from playing a hard game of Basketball, and is dead thirsty and looks in the fridge and finds "the soda, the purple stuff, the milk, YES SUNNY D!" This would have been the perfect premise and setup for a Sunny D Commercial. We LOVED Sunny D back in the day. Yes, it would have been perfect.

When you are with a group of friends and you just start laughing at everything, sometimes it's uncontrollable what happens to your body. My good friend was over, as usual, and we were laughing and making fun of the a fore mentioned Jaguar Service people, and of course Drinking Sunny D. What else would we be drinking? I honestly don't remember what was said, or who said it, but all i remember was as he was taking a drink of the yellow nectar, from one second to the next, there was sunny D ALL over everyone. But that's not even the worst. I look up, and see it continuing to spew from his nose. Of course all the rest of us lost it and jumped up out of the way to avoid the Sunny D shower. I can only imagine the burning his nose went through that day. Oddly enough, ever since that experience, Sunny D just hasn't had the appeal it used to.

I have a lot of Stories with Jake, and I'm sure if i asked him for more, he could give me more than my fair share. I'm planning on posting some of the assignments I found the other day, they're actually pretty awesome. I like writing.

No comments: