Sunday, February 10, 2008

A Promise Kept is a Promise Earned

Sunday, what a wondrous day. It used to be, for me at least, one of sleeping in and relaxation til church and then more relaxation after church. Well for the most part it's still the same, only ever since i started working mornings, and waking up every morning at 6:30, i just CAN'T sleep in to long anymore. Exceptions are made when i go to bed like at 3 AM, like i did on Friday night. But even still, my body woke up like at 7 thinking it had to go to work. Luckily i was at home in Sandy, in a warm bed and didn't have to get up for anything.

Friday night was interesting to say the least. I decided to opt out of a speed dating thing Mike wanted me to go to, even though i heard later on that it was pretty much the coolest thing ever. Needless to say though, i did enjoy myself at home for a day and a half. I drove up and met my sister and her now fiance (yeah she got engaged a few days ago...really weird. It's been really fast since she met the guy just recently, but i'm way happy for her. August 2nd is the official date. Anyway...) at her school cuz she was setting up to go back on track on Monday. I basically hadn't eaten anything all day, so we went to go get some food. Max, her fiance, was kind enough to buy me lunch...even though it was like 3 pm, but hey that's life right? I'm actually pretty stoked about having a brother in law considering she is the oldest and i don't have one yet....So the rest of the night, Steve came down and we watched Wildboyz. Pretty much the most ridiculous thing ever. If you enjoy watching people let a bear lick honey and eat marshmallows off them, or get bitten by Alligators on purpose, or even just watching stupid humans, it's a great show. It's basically Jack-Ass but with animals included. You can actually learn something from the show...ironically. Then we watched the Jazz lose, quite to Steve's liking since he's a huge Kings fan. Then we watched Blood Diamond...it'll make you think twice about buying a diamond out of any random jewelry store. Good flick. Then i was pretty dang tired since i got up like at 6:45 that morning and never had a nap. Steve gets the idea that an airsoft gun war would be the best thing for 1:30 in the morning. Good thing my 17 year old brother has exactly 3 guns. One that shoots like 450 ft/second. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me...since he shot me in the knee with it and i STILL have a mark, and today is Sunday. At least i didn't get shot in the butt like Steve did. He didn't know my brother shot him, and kept playing. But when it kept hurting had to call a time out. I'd totally insert a picture here of the wicked welt it left him with, but i'm not to keen on taking pictures of butts....especially of a guys...not that i would ever take a picture of anyone's butt for that matter, but it may have been worth it had i had a camera handy. We finished with more wildboyz and hit the sack.

Saturday, i got to go see my Grandma in the hospital. Seriously some people have a crappy life, and that's all there is to it. I had a companion that taught me basically only one thing when i was with him. He was pretty much trunky and didn't want to work anymore, but was all about service and helping people. I remember we helped this 16 yr old member get back in touch with the church and get straight with the Lord and it felt amazing. Anyway he always said "siempre hay alguien con una situacion peor que tu" "There's always someone worse off." Basically it's true. If you are ever in a slump, or life is getting you down and everything seems like it's gone to crap, there really is someone worse off. My Grandma has been living with a tube in her stomach for the past 15 years. She cant' swallow even Saliva. Basically she had Thyroid cancer or something and everything got all messed up with the treatment. She lived ok with that for a long time, but has always been pretty grumpy. According to my dad though she's kind of had a grumpy attitude ever since my Grandpa died back when my dad was a teenager. But despite everything like that i love her and i'm thankful she's with us. She had a stroke about 2 years ago, a little less. So with that her life is just turned upside down. The problem is, she really was healthy physically....just couldn't move very well or eat or anything. It's pretty hard seeing her so sad and down on life, when everyone around her loves her and gives her so much support. I can completely understand though why she would be down. I can't imagine living like she has had too. But that's why we have the gospel in our lives and we need to follow the commandments and live righteously. As long as we know what we need to do to get back to Heavenly Father, and do it, despite any hardships, we will return to him. It's a great thing to know. I love my Grandma, she's so special and loves us so much too.

Sometimes i know we take things for granted. Life in general, but i have learned so much in seriously the past just...like 3 weeks. From Stake Conference last Sunday, to this past week, I'm learning a lot about who i am and what i want from life. It's kind of weird. Stake conference last week, President Baker said he hadn't missed a day of reading his scriptures in TWENTY-FIVE YEARS. I can't believe it. That's so nuts. I committed to myself that i won't miss a day ever again, as long as i can control it. I've done it now for a week, and while that's not 25 years...it does make a difference. I'm glad i can be back on track.

Today was interesting. First of all, i got my calling finalized. I had my Stake interview and then was sustained and set-apart after church. I was called to be Assistant Executive Secretary to the Bishop of my ward. It sounds intense but really isn't. All i have to do is basically go to some meetings on Sundays, and then be there for the interviews on Tuesday nights. Not to hard, but it's important and i think I'll learn a lot.

After church i came home and walked in to the wonderful smell of Roast finishing up. So juicy and wonderful. One of the best parts of Sunday dinner is the fact that usually some new people show up and we make friends. This week it was Lacy's (Ace's Girlfriend) roommates, Anita and Amanda (sisters in fact). Now the title of this blog comes from a promise i made to Anita. We were playing Rock Band, and Eric insulted me about something and i was pretty hurt...maybe...possibly...but regardless he apologized, and she gave me a hug for him since Erica and I don't exactly have a hugging relationship, although i'm not a homo phobe so it wouldn't bother me that much. Anyway, she gave me a hug for him but the first time it was kind of a weird hug cuz i had a guitar on and was starting to play. She gave me a second hug cuz Eric wanted me to know he truly felt sorry. I'm still not sure if i believe him :) Anyway, so there ya go! I kept my promise! I wrote about the hug i got from my new BFF Anita!! I love meeting wonderful new people. It makes life much more fun and meaningful. I like being a friend too. I think i make a good one. Yet one more thing in Living Life and Being good at it. Anyway i'm done for now, this Blog entry is massive. Peace

No comments: