Saturday, May 17, 2008

Stepping Out

No, not out of the closet. But a bubble. What kind of bubble? Well i guess there aren't many bubbles you can step out of. I know that I actually am a pretty social person, but i'm not usually one to actually make an effort to make friends. It just sort of happens for me. I think other people just automatically sense that i'm a friendly person and that they can talk to me, and even share things with me. It's kind of uncanny how people seriously just randomly open up to me. I don't mind it at all, i think it's just one of the talents the Lord has given me. So anyway, the reason i'm even talking about this....
Tonight we had a ward activity. We went up the canyon to a park, and made tinfoil dinners and just played outdoors games and stuff. Since it is spring/summer term right now, basically Summer Semester, and there is like no one around, the stake joined our ward with another ward. Since our ward is mostly full of people that are already working in a career or older and more established, they thought the other ward would be way small and joining it with ours would make things nice. Well, the other ward anticipated only having at maximum like 50 people there for this coming semester, but it really turned out they have a huge ward still. So joined with our ward, now the combined ward is extremely massive, thus making it even harder to get to know people. So anyway, tonight at our ward party i kind of made it a point to try and get to know some of the people there. I mean i honestly still don't know even half the people in my own ward, but i guess you can never really get to know everyone. So tonight i just really thought, you know, i have no reason to not make friends with other people. We were playing Frisbee, and had been playing like seriously over an hour or so, even longer than that, so i got pretty tired. I went over to get some water, there was none, and there was a girl sitting there just watching people play so i went and sat down and started talking to her. She wasn't really my type, and when i realized that...i guess you could say my normal reaction would be to kind of break away and go play again, or distract myself....probably not right or a good thing? I don't know. But i decided to just sit down and talk to her. Who doesn't like to sit and talk with a new friend right? Basically she just opened up to me. Even she was like "i don't know why i'm telling you all this stuff." Kind of validated my knowledge of how easy it is for people to trust me. I could probably get into trouble, and abuse this gift i have, but I use it wisely and i enjoy being a person people confide in. So anyway, now when i'm at church and i see her, i will be able to say "Hi Laura, how are you doing?" And she will feel happy because we are friends now. I also made another friend, Emily, while we were eating dinner. She's pretty cool, and she brought her dog with her, which made an easy in cuz i love dogs. She, i normally would take interest in, but she may have come along to late..... I will keep you in suspense. Just know for now that there is a girl named Allison, and she is amazing! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW! Sounds like you had a wicked good time!