Thursday, February 4, 2010

Lines, Tests, and Taco's


8 hours on campus, 2 hours spent taking tests, 1 hour 40 Minutes in class, 3 hours studying, one hour standing in line. Not too unsimilar from the one seen above. (the picture above is NOT the line i was standing in)

Today is February 4th, 2010. It's a Thursday. It isn't close to any midterms, not remotely close to finals, just an average day of the week in, during an atypically warm day in February (this is somewhat relevant). Along with the a-typicality of "warm" weather in February, why not throw in a long line at the testing center?

Normally I don't put tests off until the last 3 hours of the last day to take them, however in this case it was the only choice I had. Generally teachers give at least 2-3 days to take a test, but for the first time in my college career I had only 1 day to take a test. On top of that I had another test for a class within my major, scheduled yesterday and today. Is it really THAT hard for 2 teachers to coordinate their exams? Do teachers do this on purpose to throw us off? I mean what was the difference of one test being Wed-Thurs, and the other class Thurs-Fri. Or even if the teacher wanted to keep it at one day, why not put it on Friday instead of on the same day as the two-day exam? The teacher did in fact cancel class today, which gave her reason to say we could take it during that class time at the very least. It just isn't logical. I realize that this is college, and teachers just do what they want because, well, they're the teacher. However, I believe they should take into consideration the fact that we as students, as human beings, have a life outside of BYU. REALLY!?!? What a SHOCKER!!! (Note: I really don't have much of a life, but I do work.....and Do other stuff too...)

I planned my day out relatively simple. I took work off to study more, which gave me the option to sleep in some (which was needed since it still ended up being a long day). I went to campus at 12:30 ish, took my first test, Hearing Science, from 1-2:15 or so, then met up with some people to study for the second test on my agenda. By this point we had all studied our brains out, and extra studying, especially group, turned into chatting and joking around. In the 2 hour period i was with those friends, we probably studied for half that, or less. But that was ok; it was good to relax a bit and actually enjoy life as a student for once. I took off to grab some food and study for a quiz in my upcoming class at 5: Writings of Isaiah. (It sounds intense, and it actually is somewhat, but more than that it's quite exciting. I always skip through the Isaiah chapters when I get to them in the Book of Mormon; now that I have a class with a teacher that knows historical and cultural background to the things Isaiah is saying, it's interesting to realize how "Plain" he was speaking to those people.) After class I planned on heading to the testing center and taking my last test: Phonological and Articulation Disorders. Exciting huh? As the testing center is the next building over from where I had my Isaiah class, I realized my plan was horribly foiled as soon as I walked out that door.

When a person goes to a theme park, a concert, an autograph signing, or a prime example would be Black Friday shopping, waiting in a line is expected. The only time waiting in a line for a test could be said to be, "expected," would be during finals week. Is it finals now? No. Should there be a line OUT THE DOOR, over to the next building over, on a THURSDAY in FEBRUARY? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! Apparently the printer, that prints out scan-trons, pooped out and it forced the staff to write the student names and information in the test, thus causing the back up and extra abnormally long lines. For a COMPLETE report on what happened, go here.

Have we become so dependent on technology, the second it craps out on us, it completely halts all traffic and stops everything? I can't even remember what it was like to not have the internet, a cell phone, Electricity........Even on my mission in Bolivia, in the middle of the jungle, we had electricity and running water (not to say everyone there does). I realize that establishments, such as BYU, have a system in place to make things work even if something does happen. I also suppose it could have been worse. It was one of the warmer days we've had recently, and even though it was well past dark, it wasn't completely unbearable to be outside for 20 minutes I had to be. I found a friend in line that so happened to be in my Isaiah class, AND taking the same test I was, so it made the line not seem so boring and gave us a chance to study and ask questions.

There's always someone worse off than yourself. Sometimes I forget this, but there is a lot of truth in that statement. My new friend, Kimbri, tried to keep a positive outlook on things as we got closer to the........finish, not sure if that's the right word since taking a test isn't exactly something to look forward to...........And it reminded me of something my 2nd companion taught me. Look around you, look around the world, look anywhere, and you will find someone worse off than yourself. I know I am truly blessed and have such a good quality life. Sure it's not exciting sometimes, but I really do have it good.

Taco's: I made Taco's tonight. I finished them past 10, but it was my dinner night. My roommates and I have kept a good thing going for the past 3-4 weeks. All taking turns making dinner and taking a dish night. I really do appreciate their willingness to make things better. I'm attempting to make new dishes weekly. So far I have Made BBQ Biscuit Casserole and Poppy Seed Chicken, both thanks to my good friend Megan. I did my amazing Taco's tonight. I think they are. Any readers out there, I know they are few, If you have any good, simple or somewhat "challenging" recipes you think I should try, throw it out there. I want to LEARN!!!!

No comments: